But D. Lawton of the Recruiting Blogswap warns that taking a new job – or a promotion – without seriously considering it could be a mistake. Even though it may seem tempting, not every opening will be a good fit for us, from both a personal and career perspective. Lawton lists 20 important questions to ask ourselves when deciding if the job is a smart move for us.
Here are a few factors to consider before accepting the job:
- Do I want this work?
- How can I use this job to help me work toward my career goals?
- How long should I plan to stay in this job?
- Why did the last person leave this job and, are there any implications for me?
- Is the market rate for the job equitable?
- Who can mentor me in this job so I can be successful?
- Will I be able to balance the demands of this job with my commitments and interests outside work?